Saturday, January 14, 2006

CRaCk GMaT

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


http://www.crack-gmat.com/gmat.htm

I happened to visit some blog where I got this link to take a free online Diagnostic Test. I had been wanting to take one full length test for long time. As I took the first one a while ago and left my preparation in between after that.

So basically its a fresh start I am making and wanted to know where I stand before I formulate my strategies.

Todays morning I took this test and the result was not very encouraging. But it wasnt really abd either.

It started with the Quantitative section through which I was able to breeze through. I finished it much before time and got 34 right out of 37 and it showed me a scaled score of 50.

The second section was verbal and this was the one which gave me a shock. I managed to get only 22 right out of 41 and 19 mistakes.

The bad thing was I had mistakes in all parts of verbal test.

SC was the worst and i got 5 right out of 14 questions I attempted. CR was equally bad with 4 right out of 9. RC was relatively better 8 right out of 13 questions.

Now I think this is a real bad show in verbal and there is a lot of effort I need to put in before I even get close to my target score of 750.

But one thing I was surprised to see was that despite of it the test showed me a score of 610 and it saud the score of the actual test would be a 100 points more than your score here as this test is relatively tougher.

But I am not reading too much into this last statement and would make sure I improve on my overall verbal score.

I had been doing some work on this already and its not good news that it dint help me much. I had taken a few tests from LSAT critical reasoning, was reading some verbal notes and frequenting various gmat forums like testmagic and sentencecorrection.com

looks like it is a long road ahead, but then I love challenges and its going to make it more interesting.

9 comments:

kpmg said...

Life can't get better eh?

:D

I wonder whether there's anyway to arrange online study groups for GMAT?

We all could truly be international then... :P

kpmg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marina said...

Don't get too obsessed with the ptactice test scores. Just focus on answering the questions and getting into the rhythm of the test. :)

Vibhu said...

All the best for the future... wat is the strategy that u have adopted.. do share

MBABlogger said...

@wannabe thats a great idea, not sure how ti plement it though !!

@marina Well I know what you are saying is very true especially since I am just starting.. may be in later half the scores would get equally important

@vibhu I did post my initial strategy on the blog. As of now following that.. once basic prep is done then I wuld get down into exact prep mode

Ash said...

you might want to refer to my blog listing on GMAT scores.
I found a lot of benefit in
1) Understanding the mistakes which I was making repeatedly and working on them
2) Working on a strategy of "question types" for verbal
my scores leaped from 630 or so to 750 in the practice tests by doing just that.
Also for anal, refer to stats fundaes from early college years.
cheers
Ash

aniket said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aniket said...

Do check Free Gmat Test This site has some really tough math problems

preeti said...

Nice Post. Those students dreaming to pursue their MBA from an Top B-School should crack GMAT exam. Because most of B-School school give admission to those students who have crack GMAT exam. GMAT exam is based on different section. So students have to give extra time in exam preparation.

Best Regards
GMAT Sentence Correction