Monday, May 15, 2006

Working on First Essay

I finally took the first step after a lot of delibration on which schools I am going to target. I think I have my list more or less finalized. I still feel that as I would spend more time writing the essays and introspect more I would be able to decide wether I am really interested in the school or not.

I also got the book How To Get Into Top MBA Program and I am finding it really useful.

I spent last two weekends and few more hours trying to get started on one of the essays for Kellogg's. I ended up exceeding the word limit by a lot. Thanks a ton to MBA JackAss for the amazing post on Kellogg essays.

I reworked my strategy and I am using different essays to highlight different aspects of my personality to bring out a complete picture. Earlier I was trying to talk about everything in the same essays and thus excceded the word limit.
Going forward before I work on essays of any school I will first decide which essay I am going to use to highlight what aspects and then start writing. It should save me some precious time.
I know some guys must be thinking I am starting too early, but keeping in mind my other commitments and work pressure I think I need to do this. Also I need spectacular essays to reach for my dream schools and I plan to give the applications my best shot.

4 comments:

Forrest Gump said...

I think your gameplan is just about perfect. Essays need a lot of time to perfect, so it is best that you give yourself as much time as you can.

wish you good luck.

Forrest Gump said...

Kellogg probably should let me know by end of this month.

and my footsteps arent the best ones to follow ;)) many more successful alternatives are available in our community itself....

best,
F

i_will_make_it said...

And yet again, I've fallen behind on my e-mail replies. ;-)

Awesome you're starting with the essays. I say for now - don't worry about the word count. Just write everything down and make sure you have all the "meat" in the essays to answer the question. Later when you edit & re-edit the essays, then begin to cut things out to reach the word limit.

Also, different schools have different word limits. So keep the original draft of 1000 words (for example) as it may not fit Kellogg's app criteria, but all that good writing could be used towards the Stanford essay!

MBA Pundit said...

Dont worry about word limits yet. Get your first drafts done and check for content, whether it is compelling and personal. Once you are happy with that, start chopping and get it down to the word limit. Also, write a draft and then share it with friends and mentors who can give you a reality check. The essays take a while so you have made a great start by starting early.