Thursday, June 15, 2006

Can I love them all ?

I Love them all and I feel so greedy that I want to get into all of them !!!

Their websites look so good, the students are an awesome bunch, all of them have good placements and brand value, some a bit more and some a little less but still good enough to make me feel interested.

They have a whole lot of clubs and activities to get involved in and build your network and leadership skills.

Then how do I differentiate between them?
How do I tell them why they are special to me and how will the school play a unique role in helping me reach my goals and how I will be able to enhance the experience of my fellow classmates.

These are the questions I have been struggling to find answers too.

I have found out some of the schools I definitely like and I am applying to them for sure. They also seem to be a great fit for me. I am a very outgoing person and believe a lot in teamwork. I have been a collaborative kind of a person and I am not a very aggressive leader. I enjoy taking part in lot of activities and my friends feel I am fun to hang around with.

I am working on my essays and I have found that it is better to sit with the set of essays of a school and decide in which essay I will highlight which aspect of my personality. One cannot talk about all aspects in all essays or the same aspect again and again. Plan it before getting started on the essays as this will help you in being more focused and you will be better able to cope up with the word limit and convey your story completely.

Guys how many schools are you planning to apply to? How many you think is advisable?

12 comments:

Rico's Mom said...

I am only going to apply to 5...possibly 6 schools. It's just too much work, not to mention $$$, to apply to more than that. It's so hard to decide which schools you can really see yourself at when they tell you such great things about each one! Good luck deciding!

Forrest Gump said...

i would say 6, to hedge your bets ...
do you have a shortlist in mind, or you still playing the selection game.

MBABlogger said...

mba_salsera@ I think I wuld go ahead with 7 schools.. starting early shuld help me a bit there..And yes it is hard to decide when you have to choose from the best.. Good luck to u too :)

Forrest@ I do have a short list of almost 9-10 schools and am just deciding between them

Marina said...

that is a great way to tackle essays. you definitely don't want to talk about the same thing in every essay.

i_will_make_it said...

Good luck! I did 7 full-time applications too. :-)

lol. And it's fine to love them all. It's like having the dessert menu in your hand and they all sound so good! Let's see... tiramisu today? Or dark forrest cake? Hmm. Mmm...

UniQpath said...

Yeah, I have been struggling with that question too. I started with the number 7, but may decide to do 6 schools, depending on time and other factors. I am guessing that you are considering US schools only. I am thinking of adding 1 European school, to add to my confusion. But I really need to think about it- what do I gain/loss with that addition?

fromcali said...

I also applied to 7 - it's a pain in the neck to apply to that many schools, but it was important for me to go this year. In choosing your schools, be sure you'd be willing to go if it's the only school that accepted you. otherwise, it's a waste of your $200.

In response to your question on my "I'm old" post, feel free to start building up the alcohol tolerance now. The more prep work you do beforehand, the better prepared you'll be for the "rigors" of b-school. :) Just don't list that as an extracurricular activity on the apps. ha ha ha.

Abisurd said...

I am also from a very similar background. IT, IIT, kinda sick of S/W now. Would like to interact with you and maybe synnergize on the app process. Drop in an email at sandeep.mymbajourney@mailnull.com

StressTensor said...

I am starting to cull schools from my list of 13 or so that I started with. I am down to 5 right now but may add one more to that. Not sure which. If none meet my criteria, I wont apply to any more.

Nice to see that many others are around the same mark (about six).

Marina said...

I kind of dipped my toe into consulting once and got really sick of traveling after 4 months...

angie said...

I only applied to one. The best advice to really think hard before applying, the application fees will kill you! Also; I think your essays will be much stronger if you really want to go to that school, it shows if you're really determined or if it's just one of 10 schools you're applying for. I'd send maximum 4 application, but of course they need to be targeted towards realistic goals.

MBABlogger said...

Thanks a lot to all of u for the suggestions.. I think I wuld be applying to around 7 schools and would have to see how I plan it between r1 and r2.. R1 results might change the plans a bit to :)