Monday, February 20, 2006

inching closer to the GOAL

I am feeling much better now and am in aposition to sit and study without much of pain :)

I have almost finished the kaplan verbal workbook and right now I am working with kaplan 800 and it is an amazing book.
have done only Critical reasoning from the book and it sure is pretty tough.

I have also takem 2 full length tests in last few days.
First one was the Paper based full length test in kaplan book.

I got 4 wrong in Quants and 10 wrong in Verbal section.This fetched me a score of 660 according to the scoring formula given in the book.

In Verbal I made only one mistake in CR and 5 in Sentence correction and 4 in Reading comprehension.

Yesterday night I took Computer adaptive test from Princeton Review and managed a score of 680. Here again I made 3 mistakes in quants and 9 mistakes in the verbal section. Out of these 9 I again made 3 mistakes in Sentence correction and 4 in Reading comprehension and 2 in Critical reasoning.

Was a bit disappointed as I was expecting a score of above 700.

So now what i feel is that I am doing good in critical reasoning and I need to improve my accuracy in sentence correction and reading comprehension.

part of it can be done by concentrating better and being aggressive while eliminating the answer choices. In some cases I did not read all the answer choices carefully, in someother read the question wrong.

Quants is where I am strong and I need to get rid of the careless mistakes I am doing. As all the 7 mistakes I made in the 2 tests were very simple ones and I made the mistakes because fo trying to hurry up.

I still have not started with my OG and I think doing that should also help me improve on my scores in sentence correction.

I am all pumped up and want to hit a score of 750 plus. Lets see if I can push myself hard enough to do that.

5 comments:

Forrest Gump said...

good to hear that you are back in the groove...

someone told me this a long time ago - and i think it is still true - gmat(and other tests like it) are tests where you need to peak around the test dates...if you peak earlier - you have a chance of faltering on the all important day.

so, i in your place would just keep working on my weakness, and soon enough, you will have what you want - a 750+ score.

good luck.

i_will_make_it said...

Sounds like you are doing great! I started with a 660, and it wasn't until I sat in a kaplan course that it helped me get a 720. (Just couldn't get that verbal up any higher.)

At the rate you're progressing, you are totally on your way to a 750+! Really use the comp adapt tests to help you with your timing. And the OG is great at q's that are more representative of the actual test.

If you want "spidey's notes" for verbal tips or AWA samples, let me know and I can e-mail them your way.

Good luck!!

kpmg said...

whooo! looks like you're going strong.

All the best man.

Marina said...

I kind of miss studying for the GMAT....I know, I am sick

MBABlogger said...

Forrest: Thanks for the tip and i totally agree to that :) Thats why I am going slow so that I dont peak too early ;-) Just kidding.. I think I have only a month so there is no way I can peak earl I think :)

i_will_make_it: Thanks a ton for offerign to help :) Those were the first notes i referred to for my GMAT prep and they sure were helpful :) I have not done anything for AWA and have no clue abt it either :(

Wannabe: thanks buddy, hope u r feeling better now

Marina: I think its because you are so free all of a sudden after being too busy for too long :) that must be the reason !!!