Monday, February 13, 2006

What a start :) The going just got tougher.

I was down with fever for past few days and was avoiding a visit to a doctor. When the fever just refused to go away even after 3 days I finally went to see a doctor and it turned out to be something more serious than a normal fever and have been advised bed rest for minimum 10 days. And guess what the previous night only I had booked my GMAT test date for March 14th :)

I think god thought testing me just on GMAT would be an easy thing to do, so he increased the odds against me :) and here I am now with only 4 weeks for my GMAT and out of which the next few days are gonna be bad with fever, weakness and many other things :)

I flew back home and am off from work till I get well. That means good food and care at home :)

I have carried along all my gmat books. The net here is real slow so I wont be able to take too much of advantage of the various online forums etc. Need to register for VIP membership of scoretop. Anyone with an idea how good it is ?


Have been working with the Kaplan book for the last 2 days now.
The way I see it, I hardly need to do anything about quants.
I am also finding CR pretty straight forward, sometimes the weaens and strengthens questions get a little tricky but most of them are in black and white with no grey areas.

Sentence correction also I am improving slowly and my accuracy level is up to 80% now.

Reading comprehension was something i used to think might be tough, but to my surprise i made only 1 mistake in 24 questions I attempted so far from the kaplan book.

Once i finish this I would also take the full length practise test and then move on to kaplan verbal workout and then to kaplan 800.

Right now I am feeling really weak so studying in short slots of half an hour types.

Lets see if i crack under adversity or make a record :)

8 comments:

kpmg said...

All the best! Let me know how it goes. What exactly is your prep regiment now?

Adversity builds character, you'll be able to say, "I scored a 790 while being sick in bed!"

:P

MBABlogger said...

Hey wannabe thanks for giving me the optimisim :)

Well I had spent last ciouple of days just going through sentence correction rules and all. I had read princeton review verbal workout, wrenen and martin english usage and notes from sumit thakur which was the best compiled one witha lot of good info. I suggest you do that too.

CR i think is relatively easy and with practise I am hoping to get 100% accuracy in that

RC seems easier now, i was thinkign it will be really tough. Did kaplan RC and made very few mistakes, so thats a great thing for me.

I plan to move to kaplan verbal workbook now and then kaplan 800 in between i wuld take some tests onece i start feeling better and can sit for few hours at a stretch.
Hope ur prep is coming along well too!

Marina said...

I like the comment Wheresmydessert just posted in my blog "Someone once told me that the older you get, the smarter your parents get. " I told that to my parents and they laughed!

kpmg said...

My prepping is going pretty ok, for the verbal section my main concern is with SC. Still making mistakes there, though have improved tremendously compared to my first time. RC and CR should be ok, am looking at 85% - 90% correct answer rates for them.

Am moving slowly into Quantitative. Started reading Kaplan. Hope it won't be as tricky as I think it will be.

Am waiting to to through the Official Guide before I sit for the GMAT itself, should be getting it in 2 months time, so tentatively am looking at June/July.

MBABlogger said...

wannabe@ that does sound like a good plan. I think 90% accuracy rate would be really good one. Kaplan verbal workbook looks good so far..once i finish it would be able to tell if its great or not.

I have only a month to get well abd get going, but looks like I would be able to do it.

@marina: well I think i would tell that to my parents too :)

BigAppleNosh said...

Hey mbablogger, thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you get better soon, and good luck on your GMAT!

i_will_make_it said...

Oh no! Get plenty of rest. Drink fluids. SLEEP!

Those Kaplan full-test practices are awesome. They really prepared me going into the gmat, especially with the timing of the test.

Good luck! I know you'll ace it!

MBABlogger said...

Thanks a ton i_will_make_it :)

"! I know you'll ace it! "

This is making me feel so good :) and wuld be the reason i wuld drive myself harder today :)